Principal Software Engineer
This position, under the general direction of the Director or Vice President, Software Engineering, will be responsible for technical and development support for our award-winning K-12 software. This role will use their expert level knowledge to implement, code, build, and test new features, maintain existing features, and develop reports that will include components, data models, customization and reporting features for our products. Additionally, this position will gather and refine requirements, develop designs, implement, test and document solutions to produce the highest quality product and customer satisfaction. Additionally, this position will mentor, coach, and answer questions for fellow employees.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Design and development of software engineering strategies
• Investigate and resolve issues reported for a large web application following best practices such as
authoring or updating unit tests, writing maintainable code, applying established patterns and algorithms.
• Analyze performance and develop improvements to performance of web application.
• Assist with security updates to web application.
• Perform upgrades to 3rd party libraries and tools used by the web application
• Implement new web application software features and products following best practices such as authoring
of unit tests, writing maintainable code, applying established patterns and algorithms
• Specialize in client or server side web application development as a member of a project team. Preference
for familiarity with the full technical stack.
• Develop software to support internal initiatives, tools, update framework and application functionality
• Work as part of an Agile SCRUM team in the planning, scoping, estimation and execution of technical
• Work within a wide range of new and legacy code and technologies in a mature codebase
• Provide the team with direction on technologies changes
• Partner with vendors and the tech community on implementing solutions to bugs and code upgrades
• Mentor and coach employees, first level response for employee questions, and lead team meetings
• Other duties as assigned
What We'd Like You To Bring:
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technologies required, or equivalent experience;
Master’s degree preferred
• 10+ years’ experience in software engineer role
• Expert level knowledge of current web client technologies including demonstrable proficiency with HTML,
• Expert level knowledge of Java, Spring (IoC), Hibernate, JPA, JAX-RS and/or .net
• Expert in SQL, Oracle experience a plus
• Familiar with OWASP threats and mitigation techniques
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent ability to work with current software design principles and concepts such as patterns, algorithms,
data structures, dependency injection, MV**, SOA, n-tier architecture
• Excellent ability to handle a heavy workload with multiple projects and frequent interruptions
• Excellent ability to work in a changing, dynamic environment
• Ability to provide accurate and reliable estimates
PowerSchool is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. PowerSchool is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. Our inclusive culture empowers PowerSchoolers to deliver the best results for our customers. We not only celebrate the diversity of our workforce, we celebrate the diverse ways we work. If you have a disability and need an accommodation regarding our recruiting process, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.